Thursday, September 25, 2008

Every second counts

I often get asked "How do I shave a second per kilometre of my time trialling"?

It's a great question and the real answer is that there are many ways that can be done. I get asked this question so many times that over the years I have compiled a list of sure fire methods to help you on your way to the podium. Over the next few weeks I will disclose some of my most successful attempts at 'Going sub 1 s/k'.

For my 1st entry I suggest that the fundamental goal is to get yourself as aero as possible, and today's tip is about streamlining your body surface. Skinsuits take care of most the issues but the often forgotten wind barrier is the head. Each time I watch the TDF (or Giro or Vuelta) I cringe at the lack of attention that these riders put on streamlining the one thing that is going HEAD ON INTO THE WIND.

Tip 1: Shave all your facial hair, including eyebrows.

For those that are serious enough, go to your local BMC (Body Modification Clinic) with your helmet and get them to match the profile.

To give you an idea of what you are trying to achieve have a look at one of my earlier efforts at ‘Going Sub 1 s/k’.

Get this right and you’ll save one second per kilometre.

3 comments:

Mazman said...

To think, all this time I thought you were actually a stronger rider than I.

Gazman said...

Do you think the size of your nose would cause excessive turbulence which could have an adverse affect in a cross wind?

Dazman said...

Strength has nothing to do with it - like all good things in life it's all about who is the slippriest...

As fas as nose size goes, always make sure you face perpendicular to the wind then move your head to the middle point in the direction you are heading.

This also saves you 1 second per kilometre.