Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wednesday Update

Does the fastest always win?

I think this is a question that most riders with even a small amount of experience would confidently tell you - no way! In reality though the fastest probably wins a bit, but certainly not always.

Well, last night I put this to the test.

The drill
A 4 up sprint lasting 1.5 laps (375m). All roders are evenly spaced at about 10m apart.

The competition:
1 x female rider!
1 x junior rider!
1 x MMAS7 rider (yes - that's aged 60-64!)!!!!!

Me:
37 years old

What happened:
1st drill I was 3rd wheel. MMAS7 was 1st, female was 2nd, junior 4th. Caught female within 150m with view of sitting in for the next 200m. Almost immediately junior goes around me, I think 's$#t' and jump on. Around the last bend we are fanned out up the bank - of course I am up top! End result: MMAS7, junior, me, female........

2nd drill I was 2nd wheel. female 1st, junior 3rd, MMAS7 4th. Still embarrassed I went out hard from the beginning but could 'feel' someone right on my tail early. Rode inside black line to make the shortest run possible. End result: me, junior, MMAS7, female

3rd drill I was 1st wheel (yikes). Went hard again and used last drop of energy to kick with 150m to go. Had junior on the hip so it was do or die. End result:
me, junior, MMAS7, female

The moral:
I'd back myself anyday against this sort of competition but after the 1st drill I learnt never to underestimate the competition.

The follow up:
Hang on - just remembered this was just a training session. Feel like a bit of a W.....



1 comment:

Gazman said...

Incredible after your promotion to A-grade on the road...