Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Monday's Ride



After a number of consecutive carb loading (beer loading) sessions I was keen to get out and hit the dandy's for some serious km's. Short sleave jersey and knicks seemed like a good idea until about 10mins into the ride, but I battled on and then dealt with a less than convenient punture, but it would take more than rain and a puncture to stop me.
It was cold and cloudy in the dandy's with no other cyclists about, 1 in 20 was a nice warm up before shooting across to Belgrave in search of Terry's Avenue. Admittedly I was a bit shocked as I turned into Terry's, and instantaneously was questioning the the 23 I had on the back. It's a tough couple of climbs; the first section peaks at about 19% and lasts for about 600m before a flat section and short descent afterwhich you hit the second section which is about 1.3 km long and averages 12.8% (pictured).
In attempting this climb, I would recommend possibly taking something larger than a 23, especially if you're riding hills like I am at the moment (which can only be compared to a brick trying to roll up hill). In addition I rode Terry's in the wet, this is not recommended, I was millimetres away from eating a face full of handle bar when the rear wheel slipped and nearly put me on my arse. Starting off on such steep grades ain't great.
Throw in a loop of the Wall and it makes for a quite a productive ride, too little too late for TOB.
[Warning: Riding Terry's Avenue may develop confusion amongst cyclists as to why The Wall is called the The Wall]

3 comments:

Gazman said...

SECRET TRAINING!!!!!!

See you there Sunday morning. Dazman can't get out sunday morning, that's one more session we get in.

Mazman said...

Nice one . . sunday it is then. BTW the beer carb loading has been working very well.
(I wouldn't want to turn up to the TOB one session underdone, Dazman . . . lol)

Dazman said...

I've already done my 16 reps up here this week. You're right Manuel, the 23 is hard but to make it easier on reps 15 and 16 I flicked into the small chain ring.